Outlook integration slowing down Outlook

June 12, 2012 10:59 AM PDT
Jim Bernstein
Key Information Systems Inc
We have 2 users who have Outlook integration installed with Communicator and experience sluggish performance while using Outlook. One is on 2007 and the other is on 2010. Our Exchange Servers are 2010. Both users have quite a bit of email as well. There are 2 of us who are new users with minimal email and on Outlook 2010 and dont have any issues. Are there any known issues with Communicator and Outlook performance? We are on version 13 Beta2.
June 22, 2012 1:07 PM PDT
Florin Micle
ShoreTel
Jim, can you tell me which Outlook integration options are enabled for the user that are seeing the sluggish performance? Could you identify which one is causing the sluggishness? Is it the Contact Upload, Calendar or Voice Mail integration.

A certain amount of sluggishness is expected during Outlook launch, since a lof o initialization has to be performed, ShoreTel add-ins have to be loaded into Outlook, etc, but once that phase is done, it shouldn't affect performance too much.

I would suspect the Contact Upload feature here, if you have many public folders containing contacts that our add-in hos to browse in search for contacts to upload. That can take a toll on performance. You can configure which Outlook folders the Contact Upload should browse and upload. Unchecking the unnecessary folders in that list may have a positive impact on performance.
September 11, 2012 10:45 AM PDT
Dana Grzelak
SGA Design Group
Florin,
We are having similar issues with Outlook slowing and sometimes crashing since installing Communicator. I can add an appointment to my calendar and it takes 7-10 seconds for it to appear, whereas before Communicator it was instant. We also have started to notice that Outlook windows do not open in the foreground. They will appear in the taskbar but can't be seen when clicked because they stay in the back. Since I have two monitors I can minimize the main Outlook window and anything else on top of the appoinment/message window and drag it to the other screen. If I try to drag it back though, it will go behind the other windows again. The only real fix is to restart the entire computer.

Our email is on Exchange 2010, Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, 64-bit.

Reply to Post

To reply to this post please Sign In