SHORETEL IS NOW PART OF MITEL. See how powering connections in the cloud is now brilliantly simple.

Automatic Connect Client Updates

Jul 01, 2016 10:12 AM PDT
Rob Hutter
Reserve Interactive
We are new to the ShoreTel Connect CLOUD system and have a number of people using the Connect Client as their only phone (softphone). Today there was a notice of an update to the Connect Client but it forces you to do the update and does not allow you to skip it and get connected to the system.

This is extremely bad for users who do not have administrative access to their system, as is the case with most of our employees, so those who come in early (6am) to cover our support line, can't use their phone because they don't have the ability to perform the mandatory update.

We can't be the only customer who does not allow users administrative access to their systems. What alternatives are there to handle this situation? ShoreTel needs a better way to work with company administrators to distribute Connect Client updates that are not detrimental to their daily operations with no warning.
Jul 20, 2016 01:23 PM PDT
IT Admins
Qmedtrix
I called support and asked this question this morning. They basically blew me off & said there was nothing they can do to help.

I couple things to add -Prompts to upgrade the client only happen when signing into the client. -You can extract an MSI and assign the application via group policy.

The ideal solution would be local changes made to the workstation that would allow the user to install the updates without admin rights. I'm not sure if this will be possible.
Aug 18, 2016 01:44 PM PDT
Paul Howard
National Advisors Trust Co
We just got onto the Cloud system, and ran into the same update issue. The only answer I got is that they are working on a new version that lets you go a couple versions before forcing you to update. With as many large clients as Shoretel has, they should be working on an application that can be put on a computer in your company that will download and push the update to all clients on your network using admin privileges given to that application.

To use group policies, you would have to know that there is an update, extract an MSI file from the EXE, and move it to a location on the network for software distribution. Someone would need to repeat this step at least once a week, but they would have to launch the client frequently to see if an update came out. Shoretel... There has to be a better way!
Jul 13, 2017 05:45 AM PDT
David Thomas
Jacob Stern and Sons
A year has passed and I am wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem? We are experiencing the same issue.
Jul 28, 2017 01:07 PM PDT
Daniel Voltmer
RM OPCO LLC (FKA REAL MEX RESTAURANTS, INC)
New customer here as well. I am surprised ShoreTel does not provide .msi packages for their software. It would make installing and updating a breeze.

To reply to this post please Sign In