Personal Call Manager Mini Mode on Dual Screen Systems

Jun 24, 2010 10:15 PM PDT
Stewart Langdon
mindSHIFT Technologies Inc
We run PCM in miniature mode. Many times we drag the PCM application to our 2nd monitor in a 2-monitor system. When we lock our computers or the system goes into Screen Saver, and then unlock or come out of the screen saver, the PCM app 'snaps' back into the primary monitor.

We would like this fixed in future releases of the product.
Jun 28, 2010 02:33 AM PDT
Brian Lynch
ShoreTel, Inc.
thanks Stewart for your post... i will pass this on product management --
Jul 07, 2010 01:20 AM PDT
Brian Lynch
ShoreTel, Inc.
Stewart, i was able to reproduce the issue and I opened an SR with engineering to investigate and resolve

Thanks for posting!!
Brian
Jul 09, 2010 04:35 AM PDT
TERMED_Florin TERMED_Micle
ShoreTel, Inc.
I was wondering, has anyone seen this issue happen on a system with two identical monitors? So far I can reproduce it on a laptop that has a second monitor connected, but not on a typical desktop system with two identical monitors.

We are currently investigating this behavior.
Jul 15, 2010 08:35 PM PDT
TERMED_Florin TERMED_Micle
ShoreTel, Inc.
Unfortunately, this seems to be Windows-driven. So far, I've only seen this type of behavior on laptops that have a secondary monitor connected, which extends the desktop. Apparently, in these situations, Windows will do some resizing and moving around of windows, when the station is unlocked. This behavior does not occur on a desktop machine with two monitors connected. It seems to be specific to laptops.

You can do this simple test: open Notepad, or IE or Word or any other application and position it on the screens so that part of it is on one monitor and the rest is on the other monitor. Lock the station and log back in. You will see that Windows has moved (or resized is needed) the application to one monitor (whichever had most of the original app showing). As I said, this resizing and moving does not occur on a typical desktop computer with a multi-monitor setup, it seems to be specific to laptops.

Our investigation has shown that when the station is unlocked, PCM receives a WM_MOVE message that tells it to move to the new location (the primary monitor). We can't differentiate between system initiated messages vs. user initiated messages, so PCM has to honor the command and move. We could not determine though why this command only occurs when PCM is running in Miniature mode and not when running in Normal View mode.

There are plenty of discussions on other internet forums about this problem, here are some examples:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1881637/how-do-i-prevent-window-resizing-when-the-workstation-is-locked-then-unlocked
http://superuser.com/questions/24340/how-can-i-stop-big-windows-from-resizing-when-i-lock-my-workstation

To reply to this post please Sign In