Outlook integration improvements

Jul 13, 2010 06:19 PM PDT
Ari Piotrkowski
City of Santa Rosa
ShoreTel's method of Outlook integration was a novel approach some years ago and still works well, especially for users who are tied to a workstation all day. However, with the proliferation of mobile devices that can play audio files directly from the email client, it would be nice for ShoreTel to improve a few things about the way it's Outlook integration works. The issue that I keep running into is that we have to turn on email notification with a WAV attachment for iphone/android users in order for them to listen to voicemails directly through their mobile device. They like this, but then things are complicated when they are working from their desk and are assigned to their IP phone. When you have both Outlook integration and email notification turned on you get 2 emails which is not very elegant. The auto delete feature in the voicemail COS helps since for very mobile users (or shared mailboxes) I just turn on auto delete to wipe out everything delivered over 7 days old and ditch the outlook integration. However, this solution leaves a lot to be desired. I would like to see one of two things happen:

1) Offer more of a true integration path with MS Exchange - do away with delivering the pointer and deliver the message with enclosed audio file. Exchange stores have ballooned in capacity in recent years and we don't have the same storage concerns that were ever-present with Exchange 2003.

2) Add some functionality to the 'email notification' capability. Allow a user to choose a setting that would only deliver an email with WAV attachment, without ever saving the voicemail. The user would loose the ability to dial in and listen to messages, but I can see a lot of our users here preferring that method since they are very mobile and would rather listen to the WAV file on their mobile device.

I know ShoreTel is working on mobile client solutions for platforms other than Blackberry/Symbian, but since one of ShoreTel's core strengths has been unified communications, I think they are falling behind somewhat as other technologies introduce new features and tighter integration with mobile devices (like Exchange).
Jul 15, 2010 04:31 AM PDT
Amanda Fagan
NB Test and Measurement
Check out ShoreTel's Microsoft CSTA Integration. I believe there's an option to use Exchange as your voicemail server instead of ShoreTel (among other things)
Jul 15, 2010 05:24 AM PDT
Ari Piotrkowski
City of Santa Rosa
We tested out the CSTA integration and it doesn't make any difference in regards to Shoretel voicemail. (I have other thoughts on the CSTA integration, but I will leave that to another thread) I understand we could use Exchange voicemail, but I'd rather not lose the tight integration with the PBX that we get with Shoretel voicemail, as well as the call handling modes, find me, office anywhere, escalations, etc. Shoretel voicemail has many strong features, especially when you factor in the tight integration with the IP phones, I just wish the Outlook integration was tighter.
Mar 01, 2011 06:34 PM PST
Tanguy Martin
College Success Foundation
Laurent,

Is the IMAP connector a go for 11.2? I ask because we're on 11.1 and, while I like the new web based communicator, it really needs to link to a user's contacts via a direct connection to Exchange to really replace the desktop Communicator thick client.

If it is in 11.2, what is the current timeline on the release of 11.2?

Thank you
May 22, 2011 07:43 PM PDT
Ari Piotrkowski
City of Santa Rosa
Hi Laurent-
I see that 11.2 has been released and includes the aforementioned voicemail integration, but only for Google Apps. Are there plans to include this functionality for Exchange?
Jul 15, 2014 10:50 AM PDT
Jeff Roback
Praxis Computing Inc
just following up on this, it's been a few years but still no motion on this for anything but google apps... is it on the roadmap? Thanks!

To reply to this post please Sign In