T-38 FAX

Apr 16, 2010 09:28 PM PDT
Wayne Heider
Gregg Communications Systems Inc
Has anyone integrated a FAXBACK server to T-38 on ShoreTel?
If so please post your config.
Versions
FaxBack 8.6
ShoreTel 10.1
Build 15.21.3903.
Aug 26, 2010 05:57 AM PDT
Ian Miley
Sonoran Integrations
Did you end up getting this working Wayne? I have a customer looking to use this and there is not any information that I have been able to find thus far to integrate the ShoreTel with the Faxback. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Sep 03, 2010 04:53 AM PDT
Ian Miley
Sonoran Integrations
I ended up getting this to work by setting up a SIP server on a 10.2 build. I set it up to use UDP as suggested by Faxback and so far I haven't heard of any issues.
Sep 08, 2010 08:33 PM PDT
Ian Miley
Sonoran Integrations
I didn't configure the Faxback server itself as the customer was working with them directly to do that portion of it. I just set up the SIP server with an extension number and then set it as the fax redirect extension for the site. If I remember correctly it passes the extension number the way it is setup as they are using DID's and not DNIS.
Sep 08, 2010 11:51 PM PDT
Gary Burdell
CNP Technologies LLC
Does it route faxes based on DNIS to individual users? How do you set that up?
Sep 19, 2010 08:25 PM PDT
Alexander Hass
e-domizil
There is an article at http://kb.faxback.com/Testing Notes with Shoretel 10, but it doesn't help me, too. I'm still failing to get this working.

Can you shed some light on us how you have configured the SIP server in ShoreTel? I have used UDP, SIP Profile 'Microsoft Exchange', Digest Auth: All. I guess the 'Microsoft Exchange' may be a problem, but I have no clue how a SIP profile for FaxBack must looks like. Maybe you can share your SIP profile settings, please?
Sep 19, 2010 08:26 PM PDT
Alexander Hass
e-domizil
URL has been half killed, try again: 'http://kb.faxback.com/Testing Notes with Shoretel 10'
Sep 26, 2010 06:29 PM PDT
Gary Burdell
CNP Technologies LLC
FaxBack just posted this on their site. They say to use SIP trunks, I have not tested this with the client yet, but will post as soon as I do. http://kb.faxback.com/Configuring NET SatisFAXtion with Shoretel
Sep 26, 2010 06:30 PM PDT
Gary Burdell
CNP Technologies LLC
Make sure to use the entire URL: 'http://kb.faxback.com/Configuring NET SatisFAXtion with Shoretel' (copy and paste works...)
Sep 26, 2010 07:36 PM PDT
Alexander Hass
e-domizil
I tried FaxBack's new TRUNK config without success, as they seems to have this not tested very well for outbound calls. Note - inbound works. I always get a 'Bad address' in 'Microsoft Fax and Scan' if I dial out.

The reason seems to be that the 'SIP server' is using UDP mode for SIP URLs (not TCP), but the Trunk seems to go with TCP URLs like a user also does and you cannot change this (or I have no idea how). I'm also in contact with FaxBack support and send them wireshark traces, but this is still under investigation...

I have asked Shoretel support and speculated if there is a hidden SIP Profile option to make a user behaving like the 'protocol UDP' selectbox from SIP server - but no idea how.

This site kills 'plus' in URLs... very bad.
Sep 27, 2010 01:23 AM PDT
Gary Burdell
CNP Technologies LLC
I am currently working with a client to try and get this working. We got FaxBack to answer but then it drops the T.38 packets at the Fax Server level. Basically, I set up a SIP Server with the IP of the FaxServer, UDP and port 5060. Checked the box next to 'Allow Fax Redirection..'. Then on the NetSatisfaxion server I put in the IP of the ShoreTel switch that T.38 was using. That seemed to help, but it still was failing. In WireShark capture on the Fax Server it shows that the fax server registers with the ShoreTel server but the ST server could not talk back to the Fax Server, error was could not connect to the port. We are goign to work with Fax Back more today. Hopefully we can get it working.
Sep 28, 2010 12:38 AM PDT
Gary Burdell
CNP Technologies LLC
Alexander: Could you set up a custom parameter for the SIP profile under Trunks and have it set to use UDP instead of TCP for your outbound calling? Then you could apply the Sip Profile in the SIP Trunk and it should work. I have tested inbound successfully but we are still working on outbound. Under your SIP Trunk it will hand over to FaxBack the Off System Extension that you have directed the DNIS to, not the DNIS.
Sep 28, 2010 01:49 AM PDT
Alexander Hass
e-domizil
I guess I've found the reason for the outgoing faxes are not send. It's a bit strange, but I have only enabled 'Tandem Trunking' on the voice switch trunk group used for the T.38 gateway. I do not understand what this checkbox changes, but this make the faxback server working with a 'SIP Server' configured with 'UDP'. I have also created a new 'SIP Profile' named 'FaxBack' with the options:

User Agent: .*

Custom Parameters:
acceptMWI=notify
Accept302=sip
HoldSupport=no
AddrSupport=diversion
EnableSymmetricDtmf=yes
UseSipProxyOut=yes
OAEMedialessPort=8600
OptionsPing=1

Over all - this was very hard to figure out, I'm still unhappy and with I could do this with a User and I only found this after trying the brand new FaxBack KB article for a trunk config.

I have also tried to use Digest Authentication, but cannot get this working. I guess this is a security risk now, but if Auth is enabled - outbound calls are broken again. Maybe there is a bug in the faxback software...
Sep 29, 2010 08:49 PM PDT
Bobby Flynn
Telba Mitte
What fax server or machine are you using?
Sep 29, 2010 08:50 PM PDT
Bobby Flynn
Telba Mitte
Oh, nevermind...
Sep 29, 2010 09:04 PM PDT
Brian Lynch
ShoreTel, Inc.
Recently ShoreTel TPP certified the GFI for T.38... the application note does indicate to ensure the 'tandem Trunking' is enabled on the trunk group...

here is the link
http://support.shoretel.com/products/third_party/downloads/gfi_faxmaker.pdf
Sep 29, 2010 10:11 PM PDT
Alexander Hass
e-domizil
I'm running Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise on a HyperV R2 DataCenter Cluster. The Faxserver has the build in 'Microsoft Fax Server' installed. The FaxBack 'VoIP Plug-in for Microsoft Fax' (Free Edition) provides two virtual T.38 lines...

I moved over to the trunk configuration and deleted all SIP Server settings for now for only one reason - with trunk you are able to configure DID mappings and therefor if this server fails you can map the extension manually to a old fax machine. Nevertheless I wish to I could configure one old fashioned fax machines as automatic backup (takes the call after 3 rings and the faxserver after 1 ring), but with Off System Extensions this seems not possible.

Not to speak about - how bad it is to reserve one analogue port for '5 sip trunk' compared to a 100 port SIP proxy - if you already have a SIP proxy for the IP8000... :-(
Sep 30, 2010 08:51 PM PDT
Bobby Flynn
Telba Mitte
So is the GFI the only T.38 application that is supported by Shoretel?
Oct 01, 2010 05:47 AM PDT
Steve Weinstock
ShoreTel, Inc.
Hi Robert, yes GFI is currently the only TPP tested solution. However, we are investigating others and will hopefully have more news to post.
Oct 01, 2010 07:58 PM PDT
Bobby Flynn
Telba Mitte
Thanks Steve!
Oct 11, 2010 12:26 AM PDT
Gary Burdell
CNP Technologies LLC
Just an update, we were not able to get NetSatisFAXion to send outbound faxes using T.38. The inbound works very well. The client continues to work with FaxBack to see how we can set this up. Has anyone been successful in setting up outbound T.38 on a NetSatisFAXion server?

To reply to this post please Sign In