SHORETEL IS NOW PART OF MITEL. See how powering connections in the cloud is now brilliantly simple.

PCM with Open VPN

Aug 04, 2010 02:03 AM PDT
Craig Barkley
Triune Health Group
Anyone have any experience with using OpenVPN with the PCM softphone client? It seems that the PCM client connects to the Shoretel server but the Softphone client never works.
Aug 09, 2010 03:55 AM PDT
Greg Gallaway
Spokane Teachers Credit Union
Does the client machine have access to the SG switches as well as the server over the VPN?
Aug 09, 2010 04:24 AM PDT
Craig Barkley
Triune Health Group
Yes, the client machine can access the SG switches and the server. Could it be a NAT issue? I know OpenVPN can be configured to NAT or route.
Aug 17, 2010 01:16 AM PDT
Craig Barkley
Triune Health Group
Not yet, I am going to try a little bit more and see if I can't do some traces to see whats going on. We have another SSL-VPN solution that works from Sonicwall but was looking to move to the Open VPN. Just trying to figure out what Open VPN is doing different.
Aug 17, 2010 05:32 AM PDT
Bobby Lester
TelData Communications Inc
Scott, I was wondering if you had found a solution to this issue as I am having the same problem with OpenVPN.
Aug 31, 2010 10:25 PM PDT
TERMED_Florin TERMED_Micle
ShoreTel, Inc.
It might be security related? the SoftPhone talks to the switch and the switch talks to the SoftPhone, so packets must be allowed to pass both ways. For instance if I connect my laptop internally over our unsecured corporate WiFi, then VPN into the domain network, SoftPhone won't work because of some security restrictions of our WiFi. But if I VPN, say, from home, everything works fine. We are using Juniper by the way.
Jul 16, 2012 02:50 AM PDT
Dominic Azzinnari
CargoTrans Inc
Scott,
Were you able to find a solution to this? I'm also having the same problem. Connecting remotely via OpenVPN can see SG router and server and Communicator connects. Primary extension works fine but when going into SoftPhone mode cannot dial.
Jul 19, 2012 03:36 AM PDT
Thomas Kelsey
Affiliated Telephone Inc
Is the client running on a machine using an OpenVPN client or are you using OpenVPN as a site-to-site tunnel? If client mode, it is possible that the Softphone is trying to use the Ethernet/Wireless interface IP to bind to rather than the IP on the OpenVPN tunnel. Take a look in commmunicator's options->softphone at the 'Network Adapter' field and see if you can specify the OpenVPN interface. I'm not sure whether or not it will appear, as I don't at the moment have access to a machine with both communicator and OpenVPN installed, but worth a look.
Jul 27, 2012 12:06 AM PDT
Allen Hebron
VOX Network Solutions LLC
if on ST 12.x there are additional port ranges that have been added that need to be opened on the firewall compared to previous releases.

To reply to this post please Sign In