SHORETEL IS NOW PART OF MITEL. See how powering connections in the cloud is now brilliantly simple.

Mobility Client on HTC Thunderbolt

May 03, 2012 08:26 PM PDT
Tony Zenobi
Verticall Networks
We've had our house system mobility solution operational for about 2 months now. The new mobility client works great on any apple devices (Ipad as well as Iphone) however when loading it on a droid the app force closes the moment it connects to WiFi. Specifically, I'm using my droid HTC thunderbolt, which according to the release notes is fully supported with Android v2.3.4. I can reprovision and bring my profile up on my ipad perfectly, but the droid client crashes every time.

I've deleted the client certificate, cleared the device from my user profile in SMR, done a complete uninstall on the client on the droid, and to even cover the bases i upgraded our SMR to the latest 4.8 and loaded the new 4.8 client fresh - it still crashes the moment it starts. The crazy thing is, if i leave the office and go somewhere that it cannot connect to WiFi, the client stays open. Yet any wifi connection, locally or remotely, the client starts crashing again upon opening.

To cover yet ANOTHER line of thinking, i had another coworker try and load the mobility client on his droid - a Samsung Galaxy i believe - and he has the exact same issue!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
May 09, 2012 04:16 AM PDT
Matthew Neitzel
Summit Credit Union
Seeing the application shutting down after its provisioned on HTC Desire and Motorola Electrify's. 4.7 worked fine. TAC has logs from the Desire. I suggest you get a ticket opened.
May 09, 2012 05:59 AM PDT
Brian Lynch
ShoreTel, Inc.
Tony,
I also sent your issue to our mobility team... I recommend you open a TAC case to have them pursue this issue..
Thanks,
Brian
May 15, 2012 07:41 PM PDT
Brian Lynch
ShoreTel, Inc.
Thanks for raising the issue Matthew,,, i know this issue routed through the Product Management, engineering and support..
May 16, 2012 05:39 AM PDT
Matthew Neitzel
Summit Credit Union
Good news, they have a working droid build coming
May 17, 2012 12:01 AM PDT
Tony Zenobi
Verticall Networks
If TAC is already aware of the registering crash on multiple droid OS builds then I'm fine with waiting a little for an updated droid build if 'working droid build is coming' means sometimes in the next month or so - no sense wasting my time and TACs time if they're already aware of it. So many flavors of droid OS coupled with tweaked carrier versions of the OS that while I like the droid, I've finally accepted the fact that from a developers standpoint its practically impossible to try and accommodate 'every' style of build.

Thanks for the info and updates across the board - I'll keep an eye out for the mobility update
May 17, 2012 12:06 AM PDT
Tony Zenobi
Verticall Networks
One last FYI Item if they want to pass this on to TAC - I've definitely narrowed it down to the crash happening on WiFi only right after it registers with the Mobility Router. It happens every time, and the shoretel service stays open in the backround on the droid and cycles through registering / crashing / re-registering / crashing until you actually go in and officially 'exit' the SMR client.

If I use the SMR client via the DID handovers (no data connection), it stays up perfectly fine. I would assume this is probably similar or identical to what Matthew has noticed with the crashes on the Droids he's working with...
May 17, 2012 04:44 AM PDT
Brian Lynch
ShoreTel, Inc.
Hi Tony,

do mind opening an SR with TAC so they may get all details from you to resolve this..
you can email me the SR at forumsadmin@shoretel.com

many thanks for posting!
Brian
May 17, 2012 04:51 AM PDT
Brian Lynch
ShoreTel, Inc.
Tony,

do you mind opening an SR with TAC so we have all the details and something to track...

Thank you!

Please send the SR to forumsadmin@shoretel.com

Brian
May 18, 2012 04:06 AM PDT
Matthew Neitzel
Summit Credit Union
Yeah the droid issues may continue, I read lately one developer has about 900 droid handsets to make sure their apps work. They also have 8 Apple devices to test with (iphone,ipad, ipod).

Meanwhile I wait for the next release of mobility.
Jun 27, 2012 09:34 PM PDT
Allan Ozersky
ANI Networks (formerly iVenue.com)
When I brought up our system running 4.7 my HTC Droid Incredible 1 was doing the same. I found that my device type was not listed in 'Configuration,Voice,Advanced,Device types' list. I looked in my user profile and in mobile device the Device Model was ADR6300. I went back to the Advanced device types added a new Device Type Model Name ADR6300 following the same information as the HTC Incredible 2 and my phone started working as it should.

Hope this helps.

BTW- Upgrading to 4.8 tomorrow!
Jul 18, 2012 03:39 AM PDT
Brian Lynch
ShoreTel, Inc.
General update - so I upgraded out of the thunderbolt to a Motorola
Razr Maxx which was also still running android OS 2.3 - and the
mobility client still crashed / force closed on that as well. This
was about a month ago. Two nights ago, Verizon pushed Ice Cream
Sandwich. I figured ' - i got nothing to lose' so i allowed the
upgrade. After the upgrade, i knew that the client technically
wouldn't have an officially supported version, however i loaded the