Which Antivirus Are You Using on Your ShoreTel Server?

Oct 28, 2013 09:49 PM PDT
Ken Lee
Hammerberg Lawyers LLP
Which antivirus program, if at all, are other ShoreTel customers using on their ShoreTel server? Available postings from a variety of forums, indicate that few, if any, are protecting their ShoreTel servers with antivirus programs. We previously had Kaspersky Endpoint Security 8 installed on ours, but we discovered that it conflicted with the ShoreTel software enough to Blue Screen the server. Once it was removed, then the Blue Screens disappeared. However, we're hesitant to leave our ShoreTel server without antivirus protection. Our ShoreTel server is running on a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 64-bit virtual server within a VMware ESXi vSphere 5.0 environment. We're leaning towards ESET's NOD solution since I understand that ESET themselves use the ShoreTel system in their own environment. I'd appreciate hearing from other customers which antivirus solutions you're using or if you've elected to forgo antivirus on your ShoreTel server.
Oct 30, 2013 08:23 PM PDT
Ken Lee
Hammerberg Lawyers LLP
I've spoken directly with ESET in San Diego (1-866-343-3738.) They affirmed for me that they are using the ShoreTel system internally and are protecting their ShoreTel servers with the ESET File Security for Microsoft Windows Server product. They admit that there are specific exclusions of specific data and program directories to be configured, but they assure me that their product will work with ShoreTel servers.
Nov 04, 2013 04:34 AM PST
Gerry Lieberwirth
Pacific Specialty Insurance Company
I don't know if this is applicable, but we have placed a FortiGate appliance in front of our Phone Network. The Fortigate as a Security Firewall whaht included AV protection. We decided not the have local AV software on any of the ShoreTel servers.

Hope this helps.
Nov 04, 2013 05:08 PM PST
MOWPIA Support AXL ECC1
ShoreTel, Inc.
Hi Ken,

While we have not tested any specific Anti Virus Software our
documentation does state which folders should be excluded. The
following is from Install Guide. I hope this helps! Please see the
guide for the specific folders.

10.7.5.6 Virus Protection on the Main and Distributed
Servers
ShoreTel allows the use of industry standard virus protection
software on the main and distributed servers.

ShoreTel Anti-Virus Folder Exclusions
The following folders and sub folders MUST be excluded from Virus
checker software or disk backup/restore software:

WARNINGIf the folders listed above are not excluded before
installation, your installation of ShoreTel 13.3 will fail and your
system will rollback to the previous version of ShoreTel. This will
also result in a corrupted database if you perform nightly
backups.
Nov 05, 2013 12:34 AM PST
Ari Piotrkowski
City of Santa Rosa
We use Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection 2012 (formerly Forefront) and we have no issues.
Apr 25, 2014 04:05 AM PDT
David Joyce
Care for Womens Medical Group
I run Symantec Endpoint Security 12 on all of my servers and desktops. It works very well for me, centrally managed, simple firewall, and I can prevent my users from 'fixing' it.
Apr 28, 2014 12:49 AM PDT
Jason Pratt
Nations Holding aka Nations Title
We also use Symantec Endpoint Security but version 11.
As Matt stated, we have the exclusions configured on our servers per the installation guide.
Jun 23, 2014 09:21 PM PDT
Daniel Ruhl
InterBank
Same here for Endpoint 12 and have for many years on our HQ server. The "Shoreline Data" folder is excluded. We've never had an issue.

To reply to this post please Sign In