SIP-vTrunk issues using VMWare

May 12, 2015 05:36 AM PDT
Brandon Juliet
Fulton County Schools
We are using Version 14.2 Build 19.44.4300.0. We are having a problem with our SIP trunk where seemingly randomly it will start having different issues.

1) Some people make outbound calls the call seems dead instead of ringing.

2) For some When making outbound calls once the call connects it sounds garbled and you cannot hear each other; but when receiving a call inbound it works fine.

3) While all this is going on some people can make calls and it works fine.

I restart the SIP trunk and all goes back to normal for a few hours or maybe a day.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Jun 16, 2015 06:28 AM PDT
Brandon Juliet
Fulton County Schools
Its been over a month, can a ShoreTel engineer chime in?
Jun 25, 2015 04:03 PM PDT
Bryant Bloedorn
Inflow Communications, Inc.
Brandon - I'll send this to my engineers since we deal with SIP trunks quite a bit. Which carrier are you using for the SIP trunks and are you using an SBC (session border controller).

Best regards, Bryant Bloedorn bryant.bloedorn@convergedata.com
Jun 26, 2015 11:40 AM PDT
Brandon Juliet
Fulton County Schools
We use AT&T for our SIP. For clarification the SIP I restart is the ShoreTel SIP Trunk not the AT&T SIP. Also yes we have an Ingate SBC. Thanks for at least looking into this!
Jul 06, 2015 08:16 PM PDT
Pete Warrington
Aerus Technologies
Hi Brandon I was in the same boat, as I have the same ShoreTel Build as you guys, and was experiencing similar issues but mainly incoming, however we have a different sip provider as im in Australia . Our problem was in the SBC ( We Use Audio codes) and was resolved by manipulations to the messages (SIp Messages) being set so Carrier and ShoreTel talk the same talk. My Advice would be capture SIp Logs and Traces of the calls through D & M that way ShoreTel or AT & T can see where the problem occurs and you may be able to manipulate the SIP Messages through the Ingate
Aug 17, 2015 08:45 AM PDT
Gilbert Gamurot
On Target Telecommunications Inc
Is the InGate on VMware as well? Ensure that the ShoreTel-VMware best practices are followed, especially for the VMs' NICs and VM hosts' resource management.
Nov 03, 2015 08:00 AM PST
Ramin Sahafi
BDO Dunwoody
We have had the same issue with different builds of Version 14.2 Build 19.44.4300.0 & Build 19.45.5101.0 I have initially reported this to ShoreTel in Early June 2015, yet we have no permanent reolsution.

The behavior is the same as Brandon has mentioned:

1- One way outgoing call over SIP 2- incoming calls were not impacted 3- For outgoing calls, the call was initiated, but the caller cannot hear the callee, and the callee just hears garbelled noise 4- on a 3-way Conference call, if one party is using Extension assignment (to his cell #), the conference call will only work between two parties instead of three-way conference call.

I have tracked this down and found out that it is possibly somewhat related to CODEC conversion on ShoreTel Virtual SIP trunk switch.

We are using G729 between sites (inter-site), but our SIP carrier is G711. So the Virtual SIP Trunk switch is supposed to do the codec conversion. My findings show that the at some point (every 10~15 days, depends on the traffic volume), the Virtual SIP Trunk Switch stops doing its job properly and the module that is responsible to do the codec conversion is not functioning properly.

We have added more CPU cores, more memory, re-imaged the switch using a new .OVA file. None of them has solved the problem.

The only time that I could solve the issue was to force the "inter-site" traffic to use G711, so no codec conversion was required. But considering the bandwidth usage on G711, this is really not a solution (but a workaround). The 3-way conference call issue was also solved by using G711 codec ONLY. (again codec related issue) Has anyone else had the same experience? any permanent resolution?

please let me know. Thanks, Ramin - rsahafi@yahoo.com
Nov 03, 2015 08:04 AM PST
Ramin Sahafi
BDO Dunwoody
sorry, my email is rsahafi@bdo.ca
Jan 12, 2016 01:58 PM PST
Armando Flores
Sante Health System
We have the same setup and are having the same issue:

Setup: 5 satellite sites and HQ going over the network to VTrunk to Level3 SIP Trunks via InGate Siparator.

Every 5 days on the dot our satellite sites start having trouble making outgoing calls, the recipient hears this robotic sound the caller (shortel user) hears silence) however HQ doesn't have the issue even if we are using the same trunk.

The issue is resolved after rebooting the vTrunk switch.

So far we worked with Support but no luck.. they are blaming the carrier. any ideas?
Feb 09, 2016 06:37 AM PST
Daniel Ruhl
InterBank
Ramin Sahafi, we have the exact same issue as you. Both our ShoreTel SIP switch and also the Ingate Siparator are virtualized within the same vCenter cluster. The issue with outbound calling happens once every month or two for us. Our setup sounds identical to yours where we use G729 for inter-site calling and G711 to/from our SIP provider (Broadsoft resold through Nitel). Rebooting the ShoreTel switch fixes the problem when it occurs. I have performed testing on our side and if I force G711 on inter-site calls, the issue goes away. This has been happening to us ever since the ShoreTel virtual SIP trunk switch came out. This issue does not occur if I use a 90V to terminate the SIP trunk. So the issue is definitely the codec conversion that is occurring on the ShoreTel virtual switch.
Aug 16, 2017 08:23 AM PDT
Ross Pickle
AGC Networks Inc
This issue has been resolved in 19.49.3800.0 (14.2)

Defect Number: ENG-494325

To reply to this post please Sign In