Virtual Voice Switch

Aug 06, 2015 01:10 PM PDT
Philip Gosche
National Machinery LLC
Has anyone else successfully implemented a virtual switch for ShoreTel using VMWare as a space/backup switch? We are having connectivity issues with ours. The VM can be pinged but Director is not showing connectivity. ShoreTel has said that our VM looks to be setup correctly and that it is a network issue. Our network admin has tried several things without any luck. We use Class B addresses for our ShoreTel IP's so not sure if anyone has run into issues like this or if anyone has suggestions or tips.
Aug 07, 2015 01:40 PM PDT
Gilbert Gamurot
On Target Telecommunications Inc
Verify the network configuration on the virtual switch, ie. IP address, SM, GW, etc. Also, confirm the MAC address you have inputted in Director matches the VM.
Aug 11, 2015 07:26 AM PDT
Philip Gosche
National Machinery LLC
Yeah all the network info on the virtual switch is correct. The MAC address is showing correctly. When adding to director, when I click the find switches button, it will find this switch so director sees it but it doesn't seem to be connecting to any other device. Our ECC and Director server are VM's and they have had no issue with connectivity, it is just this virtual switch. Seems like it should be something simple but as far as we can tell we have everything setup correctly.
Aug 11, 2015 11:20 PM PDT
Pete Warrington
Aerus Technologies
What type of Switch is it ? Is it a primary switch ? If in D & M You can not see it as connected then it is not, Is it at the same site as your ecc and director ? Also did you create the VM ware by downloading from the director pages or get it from the shorretel website? We have deployed ECC, Director and a VMPhone switch as a failover switch at a DR site and everything is ok
Aug 12, 2015 06:06 AM PDT
Philip Gosche
National Machinery LLC
The final purpose of this is going to be as a failover spare but currently I have it set as a primary switch so I can easily test phone connectivity without having to touch our physical 220's during work hours. In D&M I don't see anywhere that it says connected or not but the Comms column says 1/12 so it can see itself but nothing else. Everything is at the same site, we only have one. When setting up the VM we chose to deploy from OVF template and then put in http:///ftproot/tsv/BareMetalInstall.ova and it grabbed the file directly from our director server. We have a separate VLAN for each department in the building and a separate VLAN for our phone equipment as well, is that how you are setup? You didn't have to do anything special in VMWare to get your virtual switch communicating? Weird thing is I can ping this switch from any PC including our director server but it doesn't show connectivity when added as a switch into director.
Aug 17, 2015 07:35 AM PDT
Gilbert Gamurot
From the vSwitch, can you PING the HQ server?
Aug 17, 2015 09:00 AM PDT
Philip Gosche
National Machinery LLC
I run a LSP_PING on the vSwitch but get 1000 missing packets when pinging the HQ server.
Aug 17, 2015 08:25 PM PDT
Pete Warrington
Aerus Technologies
Hi Philip All our sites (10 of them) use the DHCP option to set up the VLAN used by the phones, but that does not apply to the Voice appliances (virtual or real)each Site is a different IP range. In our Case the Voice Switch is a Fail over and is not licenced as it resides at the DR site. If there was an evacuation we could spin up the VMware appliance and Use phones from the DR site (Which we have tested) So when the VMware Appliance is up we get connections to it from all other appliances, If it is not connecting to anything I would suspect it is the config of the Appliance (no VM Ware just the ShoreTel Config
Sep 01, 2015 11:56 AM PDT
Gilbert Gamurot
Philip - I'm assuming that you have followed the best practices on the VMware and networking... just to confirm, do you have a separate 1 GB NIC for the vSwitch and it is connected to the ShoreTel network?

To reply to this post please Sign In